Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 16:36:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Leif Neland <leif@neland.dk>
To:        User & <taylorm@spyder.bytecraft.au.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: routing

On Thu, 17 May 2001, User & wrote:

> Is it possible to use a fbsd box as a router
> via two separate NICs each on their own net
> i.e 10.1.2.0 and 203.12.34.0, into a common hub?
>
> I need to maintain some pre-existing systems on the
> old 10. numbers (due to hard coded ancient programs)
> yet support our new connectivity....

I'd recommend using the fbsdbox as a firewall and keep the existing
10.1.2.0 machines on the inside, invisible to the world. (Or just tunnel
the needed adresses through). The ancient programs are probably not built
with enough security to be visible to todays hostile internet environment
(read: they are probably not hacker-proof)

Just keep whatever is nessecary outside the firewall/router (or on a 3rd
nic to have a "Demilitarized zone" where some services are accessible from
the outside) and have the rest inside.

Leif