Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 22:57:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robin Cutshaw <robin@intercore.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2-960612-SNAP resolver problems

I just loaded 2.2-960612-SNAP on a Dell P75/8MB system.  The name resolver
code doesn't seem to be working correctly.  I can see the name request
packet going out to the name server and the response coming back but
the system doesn't use the returned information.

I just blew away the 2.1 release that was working fine on this same box
to load the snapshot.  It seems like all other networking services are
working just fine (routed, rlogind, etc.), it just can't resolve any
names.  I noticed that the system sends out name queries for localhost
as well (so it looks like it's not using /etc/hosts, either).

I tried running ktrace but I guess the default kernel isn't configured
for it (as I got ktrace: t]?o{]?o]?o]?o: Function not implemented.).

robin
--
----
Robin Cutshaw         internet: robin@interlabs.com robin@intercore.com

    "Time is just one damn thing after another" -- PBS/Nova
----