Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:11:14 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Assembly, Kernels and Bootstraps

Ryan Sommers wrote:
> Several of the sites I have visited on assembly say it isn't needed
> anymore. Is it still needed to write a bootstrap?

Yes.  Either you have to write it, or it has to be written and
placed in a library for you to use, but it's there, no matter
what.  There's no way to write a processor control register
without assembly language (same for most other priviledged
instructions).

> Where is a good starting point to just read through some of the Kernel
> source? Where is the entry point? I'm on all x86 architecture.
>
> Are there any good references on the Internet or in printed form on the
> kernel and how it works, bootsraps or assembly language on FreeBSD?

http://oasis.uptsoft.com/~devnull/dh/x3392.html

But really, this won't "give you" the information you need; no
matter how you look at it, you will have to work at it.

I suggest what I always suggest every time someone asks this
question without looking at the list archives and seeing what
the answer was the last time: read the list archives.

> So far I have bookmarked the following sites, any others you have to add
> would be much appreciated:

        Protected Mode Software Architecture
        Tom Shanley
        MindShare, Inc.
        Addison-Wesley Publishing Co.
        ISBN: 020155447X

Really, booting is all about starting out in real mode, making
a paged protected mode memory map that looks exactly like the
unpaged real mode memory map, flipping the switch, and then
returning on an alternate stack.  FreeBSD is not really the
best example of how to get from real mode to protected mode,
since it does this in a moderately clumbsy way, rather than in
the most simple way possible.

-- Terry