Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 1996 20:51:45 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A question on diskless boot

In message <199612171847.TAA05241@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, Luigi Rizzo writes:

>> Add generic code to the ethernet support in the kernel
>> so that one can say
>> 	ifconfig -bootp de0 > /etc/bootp.reply
>
>In any case this (or the kernel equivalent) requires the bootp request
>be sent before having an address. Now, is it reasonable to use
>255.255.255.255 as the IP address until the reply has come ? I have
>tried
>
>	ifconfig ed0 255.255.255.255 alias
>
>and it does not seem to complain. Haven't tried to use it to
>communicate though... if this works, then it seems relatively
>trivial (not asking for someone to do, just need a bit of advice!)
>to add the following code in nfs/nfs_vfsops.c near the beginning
>of nfs_mountroot():
>
>- add a call to ifioctl(so, SIOCAIFADDR, ...) to assign an IP
>  of  255.255.255.255
>- collect an IP address using bootp
>- delete the  255.255.255.255 address
>- call ifioctl(so, SIOCAIFADDR, ...) with the right IP
>- merge in the netboot code to get the relevant info on the
>  server
>
>and then continue with the current code. This shouldn't cause a large
>bloat in the kernel, since the whole netboot stuff is 8-10KB including
>the driver for the card, printf and many other things.

I belive that you actually use IP# 0.0.0.0 as dest IP with bootp,
but the RFC will tell I'm sure.  You may have to add special-case
code somewhere deep in the ip stuff, but try it out and see what
happens.

I would prefer if the same code could be made to work with ifconfig
for the non-diskless case as well.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.