Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 23:18:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD? - License Issues

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Jeroen C. van Gelderen wrote:

> > Then how about we rip LPR from the base system and let people install the
> > printing system they need from ports?
>
> Yay! I think this is the correct approach for most software
> that isn't universally needed and for which 2 or more
> competing versions exist.

I disagree very strongly.  This goes directly in the face of
friendliness.  Assume that *some* folks (and I say that
tongue-in-cheek) are actually not gurus when they install FreeBSD ... they
want (and very rightly expect) that a good assortment of default utilities
exist so that they can take advantage of the capabilities of a good
OS.  I'm not saying we bundle everything, but I *am* saying that there are
a minimum of utils that should NOT be divorced.  Print is very definitely
one of these.

> PS. I think lpr ought not be in the base system. If however we
> include one it should be lprNG. Our lpr is crap.

That's going *way* too far.  Our lpr is far from crap, and is maintained.

Seeing as the license thing is taken care of, I am no longer against
LPRng, but I *am* against inflammatory false statements (seeming to say
"everything but my personal choice is garbage"), and I am *very* much
against making FreeBSD more user-unfriendly out of the box.

If I see LPRng getting brought in on wings of statements like that, I will
oppose it.  If I see LPRng (now that the license issue is settled) brought
in for solid, proveable reasons, I'll be happy it happened.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.