Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 1996 12:19:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft "Get ISDN"?

> > I am curious, why do you use SLIP for your dedicated connections?
>
> I don't speak for Joe, but I use SLIP (w/VJ compression) whenever
> possible since it uses less overhead and I seem to have lower latency
> and higher throughput than using both user-mode and kernel-mode PPP on
> FreeBSD boxes.

I don't have anything to say about higher throughput since in my experience
it's only a mild difference, but the latency issue is mainly due to ppp's
default 1500 mtu.  Lowering that (I know one fella who uses 296) will help
latency issues quite a bit.  With 1500, you only get two or three packets
per second through the link if somebody is running a large transfer of some
sort.

Most sites which run dedicated connections will have multiple people using
the link simultaneously, so the lower mtu gives the impression of faster
response.  This hurts overall throughput mildly, buuuuut there's always a
tradeoff to be made.

fyi: SLIP uses a 552 mtu.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968