Date:      Wed, 23 Mar 2016 09:30:47 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Using one RPI2 as a serial terminal for a second RPI2

On Mar 22, 2016, at 11:41 PM, Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com> wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2016, at 6:24 PM, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:
>>=20
>> Is there a way to operate an RPI2  single user with the HDMI monitor
>> and a USB keyboard? =20
>>=20
>> Is it practical to cross-connect the UART pins and use cu on one RPI2 =
to=20
>> communicate with a second?=20
>=20
> Should work fine.
>=20
>>=20
>> If not, is there a USB-to-3.3v UART adapter which
>> uses existing FreeBSD drivers? Amazon.com is full of cables, but most
>> speak only of Windows and Mac OS X.=20
>>=20
>=20
> The common Adafru.it/954 cable works fine with a FreeBSD host.

I have one of those and it uses the Prolific chipset.  It works fine =
under FreeBSD/amd64 10-STABLE.  It attaches using the uplcom(4) driver:

ugen2.2: <Prolific Technology Inc.> at usbus2
uplcom0: <Prolific Technology Inc. USB-Serial Controller, class 0/0, rev =
1.10/3.00, addr 2> on usbus2=20

Cheers,

Paul.=