Date:      Sat, 13 May 1995 18:30:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, freebsd-bugs@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: bin/402: w -n doesnt work as advertised.

> >    I modified w.c to attempt to figure out the ip address of the hosts
> >    that were non-IP.  Because some folks might need an option to make w
> >    not do any resolver lookups, I also added -l which mirrors the
> >    the existing -n flag, and ensures no nameserver calls get executed.
>
>    Actually, I strongly dislike the 4.4 "w" doing nameserver lookups by
> default. On any reasonable system that has > 20 users on it, it can take
> anywhere from several seconds to several minutes for the w output to finish.
> In my opinion, the default for w should be reverted back to the old behavior
> of trusting what is in wtmp.

Must be a slow nameserver?  Most local nameervers will cache all retrieved data
for an hour to a day, given that the responses should 80% of the time come from
your local nameserver.  I never have any problems with the lookups, w never
takes even a second to run.

-Crh

    Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu

                     http://rs560.msu.edu/~henrich/