Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:08:17 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Rainer Hurling <rhurlin@gwdg.de>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: de-acroread8 not starting any more

Quoting Rainer Hurling <rhurlin@gwdg.de> (from Thu, 24 Jan 2008 =20
16:53:01 +0100):

> Dear list,
>
> after recent updates of FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT and some ports (gnome, kde,
> xorg etc.) acroread8 (german version) does not start any more. I have
> this behaviour on two machines.
>
> Instead starting the program a message with backtrace information
> appears, see below.
>
> The error message is irritating because libc.so.6 is stored under
> /usr/local/lib/compat. On /lib/ there is the newer libc.so.7.

Acroread is a linux program, so it is supposed to take the libs from =20
/compat/linux/..., you need to take this as the base path instead of a =20
plain / if you look for libs.

> I am working with emulators/linux_base-f7-7.

This is not the default linux base. Please revert to the default linux =20
base and the default linux kernel emulation (2.4.2 instead of =20
something else). If the problem persists, then the problem is probably =20
within the userland. If it doesn't persist, then you've hit one of the =20
problems with the non default linux kernel emulation.

>> acroread
> rm: cannot remove
> `/home/rhurlin/.adobe/Acrobat/8.0/Preferences/mozilla/prefs.js':
> Function not implemented

This is strange... I wouldn't expect a "Function not implemented" for an rm.

> (acroread:1115): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
>         Using the fallback 'C' locale.
> *** glibc detected ***
> /usr/local/Adobe/Reader8/DEU/Adobe/Reader8/bin/acroread: double free or
> corruption (!prev): 0x002ad9f8 ***

This may be the cause of the previous error or not.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Since we have to speak well of the dead, let's knock them while they're
alive.
=09=09-- John Sloan

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137