Date:      Wed, 05 Aug 1998 13:41:29 -0600
From:      James Garnett <garnett@bogus.cs.colorado.edu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up on LFS

Tom (tom) wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
>
> > 	I looked around the web site, and I even downloaded the source.  It
> > looks like they're using FreeBSD kernel sources circa late '96 or early
> > '97.  If they're using a CAM implementation at all, it must be DEC's CAM
> > implementation when they run on the Alpha with DEC UNIX.
>
>   According to the Spin SMP page, the FreeBSD code used is from 2.1.7
> They plan to update to 3.0 to get SMP running though.

It's not clear how alive SPIN really is anymore; it would be surprising if
they actually did this.  In the OS research community the word is that it
is "Spun Down" or anything along similiar lines; work could be tailing off
on it, although you'd have to ask Brian Bershad to be sure.  There haven't
been any papers on it in some time, at least not in (for example) Operating
Systems Review or at the last SOSP. The current US OS hotspots are Utah (Flux),
MIT (Exokernel), and Harvard (VINO).

~james