Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 2002 09:45:07 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Oliver Braun <obraun@informatik.unibw-muenchen.de>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, B.Candler@pobox.com, dwcjr@FreeBSD.ORG, jos@catnook.com
Subject:   Re: Please review patch (was: ports/42074: rsync depends on many other packages - popt dependencies?)

On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 09:12:41AM -0300, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	Sorry for the awful delay on picking up this thread. :(
> I was otherwise engaged with other problems....
>
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 10:56:02AM +0200, Oliver Braun wrote:
> > * Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com> [2002-08-27 14:04 +0200]:
> > > Possibly as a result of change ports/37348, rsync now depends on a
> > > whole bunch of other packages including an XML parser!
> >
> > > This is a bit of a pain in a server environment where you want to
> > > install the minimum amount of shrapnel. libpopt I will accept, but
> > > the rest seem irrelevant to rsync.
> >
> > > expat/libiconv/gettext are dependencies of popt, so I guess the
> > > question really is why a command-line option parser depends on those
> > > things?
>
> 	So that it can resolve any locale things. As I understand
> popt uses gettext so that it can return localized error messages.
> And to be able to handle localized parameters, e.g., diacriticals
> (á, that is a &aacute; in case your terminal did not show).
> 	Both expat and libiconv are side effects of having gettext
> as a dependency. :(
>
> > Find attached a patch I want to commit:
> >
> > * define WITH_POPT_PORT to build net/rsync with devel/popt and all
> >   dependencies.
> > * default behaviour is to use included popt. So, the package does not
> >   depend on devel/popt
> >
> > Lioux, does devel/popt need all these dependencies, or is it possible to
> > remove the dependency on gettext at least by default and make gettext
> > support optional?
>
> 	At the current stage of things, there are 2 side effects
> of making gettext support optional (if that is at all possible, I
> haven't investigated yet):
>
> 	1) It will drop down localized support which may not
> be important for the messages but IS for the parameters
> 	2) It will break the dependency list for several ports.
> Some of them relied on the fact that gettext already pulled either
> libiconv or expat as dependencies. So we would have to identify
> and explicitily add dependencies to some ports
>
> 	Having said this, I do not feel strongly about keeping
> gettext personally. However, we should consider the possible
> impact on the functionality of our ports. As well as the fixes
> necessary to make sure the ports will keep on working after this.

I have to disagree with the last sentiment. You can hardly
find any FreeBSD installation out there without gettext package
installed (even in server environment), so that removing gettext
support from popt is unlikely to have any positive effect for
the majority of our users. I'd suggest to keep gettext dependency
in popt.

-Maxim