Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 09:21:46 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, committers@FreeBSD.ORG, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, perhaps@yes.no, peter@netplex.com.au, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: amanda port, empty PATCH_STRIP= lines causes trouble

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Bruce Evans wrote:

> >Now things are breaking left and right, people are submitting "fixes"
> >to ports that make stuff compile on -current but break -stable, and
> >you are telling me to shut up because I wasn't watching every single
> >commit message (I thought that was Bruce's job :p) before?
>
> I agreed with the commit to -current :-).  I didn't like updating to
> the new Gnu patch so quickly, but -current should go forward.
>
> The local hack to patch is older than ISTR.  It was in 2.1.5R but not
> in 2.1.0R.

Thanx Bruce!!!!

We need to think how we can make ports system compatible after this...

At this moment I see following variants which makes sense (besides
nonsense back out suggested by many).

1) Build separate /usr/bin/broken_patch especially for ports system
(with one-line change in bsd.port.mk)

2) Scan all Index: patches in ports tree to replace ---/*** lines
with correct ones.

I find following ports which use Index: lines

	kinput2-canna+sj3+wnn, kinput2-canna+wnn, kinput2-sj3+wnn,
	kinput2-wnn, modula-3-lib,
	modula-3-socks, virtualpager, tkdesk, rtptools, rdist6, sup

Really not so many! I not check yet which one from them have bogus
---/*** lines.

3) Make sed filter to detect patches with broken Index: and convert
them on the fly.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nietzsche.net>