Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 21:36:04 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The SAFEST filesystem config

On Thursday 07 March 2002 09:18 pm, BSD Freak wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| I was just wondering if anyone can advise me the SAFEST file system
| configuration (for and IDE drive). I need it for a FreeBSD router, so
| file system performance is not an issue (becasue it is just forwarding
| packets) but consistency is (as it will often be shutdown "uncleanly").
|
| I think I have to choose from on of the following:
|
| Soft Updates + No write caching
| No Soft Updates + No write caching
| No Soft Updates + write caching

Well, it's safest for certain to turn off write caching.  To do that, add
this to

/boot/loader.conf:

hw.ata.wc=0

Soft updates should make things safer since they are meant to ensure file
system integrety at all intermediate points.

Most noticably, though, they will greatly increase performance if you are
going to have the write cache off.

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org
http://www.eff.org   <-- GOOD GUYS -->  http://www.programming-freedom.org