Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 2003 22:12:22 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        walt <wa1ter@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: VOP_STRATEGY on VCHR?

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003 phk@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

> In message <3E17D52F.7050307@hotmail.com>, walt writes:
> >After updating world and kernel this evening I saw this message fly by
> >during the reboot:
> >
> >Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s3a
> >
> >VOP_STRATEGY on VCHR
> >: 0xc25fd000: tag none, type VCHR, usecount 5, writecount 0, refcount 6, flags (VV_OBJBUF),

I get this too (except I fixed the misformatting of the message while
reviewing the code, so that it is printed on 1 line with a non-bogus
":").  From /var/log/messages:

% Jan  5 21:09:22 gamplex kernel: VOP_STRATEGY on VCHR: 0xc2697000: tag none, type VCHR, usecount 4, writecount 0, refcount 4, flags (VV_OBJBUF),
% Jan  5 21:18:37 gamplex kernel: VOP_STRATEGY on VCHR: 0xc2697000: tag none, type VCHR, usecount 4, writecount 0, refcount 4, flags (VV_OBJBUF),

(This shows a formatting bug in vprint() itself: the "," at the end.)

> >Sorry, need DDB option to print backtrace

I have the DDB option, so I don't get this.

> It is probably the same problem as the one I just commited a fix for.

I haven't cvsupped' the fix or debugged it yet.

> If you get this again after upgrading, please put the DDB option in
> your kernel and see if you can reproduce it so I get a traceback.
> The vnode information alone seems not quite as useful as I had hoped.

Neither is the traceback.  db_trace() prints using db_printf() so the
message never reaches log files.

Bruce