Date:      Fri, 05 Apr 2002 18:33:46 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        Keith Spencer <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        fbsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Whats this PS message mean?>QMail  on F..ree B..ut S..o D..ifficult

Keith Spencer wrote:
> Hi all,I seem to constantly run up against brick walls
> with FBSD. I have to get a medal for persistence I
> reckon!
> Folks I am trying to install qmail. I have followed
> one of the many howtos around (Lifewithqmail).
> When qmail autostarts from the rc script etc a ps -ax
> yields this...
>
> What's this process error mean. How can I fix it (if
> in fact its broken?)

I got qmail installed a few weeks back, so we should be able to get you
running! :-)

Did you install from ports? This is probably the best way. You should
make sure you read all the files that the port tells you to. In
particular the port creates a symbolic link from
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/qmail.sh to /var/qmail/rc but YOU have to copy the
right startup file from /var/qmail/boot to /var/qmail/rc in order for it
to get started. I uses /var/qmail/boot/maildir as I wanted Maildir
delivery. You should select one.

 > Looks like qmail-send isn't working or is it?

It doesn't sound like it. There are a few qmail-* processes that should
show up under ps -ax

 > It is supposed to be UP for > 1 second.
 > I would really appreciate help here. As usual I have
 > no clue. I am trying but the FreeBSD learning curve is
 > VERY steep :(

It sure is! Keep persevering (sp?)! I remember only a few years back
when everything seemed so difficult, like the OS was fighting against
you. Just remember that the harder you have to fight to get something to
work, the more you enjoy it when it does.

;-)

One last thought is that changing mail systems isn't really for the
faint of heart. If you are really just starting out, perhaps you should
concentrate on getting other parts of your system running sweetly? Have
you got X working how you want? All your devices working OK? Don't let
me put you off of course.... There's nothing wrong with fixing something
when it isn't broken! :-)

Andrew.