Date:      Thu, 30 May 1996 10:52:23 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: copyright notice in /usr/src/lib/libc/stdtime missing?

<<On Thu, 30 May 1996 23:27:26 +1000, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> said:

> /usr/src/share/misc/ascii:
> 	Less copyrightable than a phone book.  Who knows if phone books are
> 	copyrightable (I believe it depends on the method of collection of
> 	entries)?  Apparently not explicitly copyrighted.  The file format
> 	apparently doesn't allow comments.

In the United States, phone books are not subject to copyright.
However, your local laws may differ.  (However, the rationale is
probably the same: there simply is no creative intellectual input in a
listing of all the names and numbers of telephone customers in a
certain place.)

> /usr/src/share/zoneinfo/*:
> 	Not explicitly copyrighted.  All copyrightable.  Should be copyrighted
> 	to permit further copying.  Isn't there a central copyright for the
> 	timezone release?  zic sources are also missing copyrights.

As mentioned before, no.  Works created by the United States
government, in the United States, are by definition in the public
domain.  In 1.x, there was a comment to this effect.  In the Berkeley
releases, a UC Regents copyright was pasted on (which they could do
because the work was public-domain).

You left one out:

/usr/src/*/Makefile{,.inc}
	Probably not subject to copyright except for certain very
	complex examples.  There is no creative input involved in
	writing:

	#	$Id$
	PROG=	foo

	.include <bsd.prog.mk>

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.