Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 1995 15:34:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
Cc:        gryphon@healer.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@freebs.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

> It's NOT THAT HARD to use your own built-in pattern recognition
> software and hand-configure /etc/rc.local.

Unless /etc is read-only and the only method you have to add your own
stuff is union mounts (additional directory entries).

> Remember Jordan's words: we lost the desktop market, and that seems to
> be the primary target of all this proposed reconfiguration.  People
> using are systems will have enough gray matter to know what to do when
> they see:

Jordan is wrong.  I was in the meeting in the conference room in Sandy,
Utah when Kanwahl Rheki "gave way" the UNIX destop.

The UNIX desktop was not "lost", it was "conceded without a fight".

I don't agree that it was "lost".

>         % make install
>         Installing fizzlefrazzle-1.2
>         install -c -o bin -g bin -m 555 fizzd /usr/local/libexec
>         install -c -o bin -g bin -m 555 fizzclean /usr/local/libexec
>         install -c -o bin -g bin -m 555 fizzle /usr/local/bin
>
>         Installation complete.  Now, edit your /etc/rc.local file
>         and add a line to start fizzd.  Also, add fizzclean to root's
>         cron, set to run every half hour, more if you think you need
>         it.

	If /etc is read-only, well, then you're SOL.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.