Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:22:47 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to mirror only part of ftp?

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Dan Langille wrote:

> Those of you running ftp mirrors, how do you manage to mirror only part of
> the ftp distribution?  It appears the nz.freebsd.org may need to be
> replaced and I'm considering setting up a box to do that, but I may not be
> able to come up with the 60GB mentioned at
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/hubs/
>
> My first guess is to accomplish this via cvsup with refuse files.  My
> second choice would be rsync.  My last choice would be ftp.

Hi Dan,

it really depends on whether you need it to be totally automated
or not.  my methodology is a combination of manual and automated.

o figure out how much disk space you have available
o work out what you can carry and still have some space for growth.
  i recommend leaving at least 20% of your space for future growth
  in releases/ISO images.

o work out the parts of the freebsd hierarchy you want to carry

e.g

i carry the entirety of  releases/i386 and releases/alpha

however i don't carry all the directories in ports/ as i've
had way too many problems in dealing with how it is currently
built and am waiting for stuff to settle down.

script the parts you know are updated into your update script.

e.g you might call rsync with updates that check releases/,
development/CVSup/, ports/local-distfiles/, ports/distfiles/,
doc/ and a few others.

it's not too difficult, it just relies on knowing that parts of
the freebsd tree are static and don't need to be updated while
other parts need to be checked daily.  you do not need to check
all of releases/ for example if you are willing to pay attention
to mail from hubs@, since there is now a (greatly appreciated)
effort to mail mirrors before new releases.

regards,

-jason