Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 13:15:12 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org>
Subject:   Re: hackers-digest V1 #1415

Hi,

>	They are :-) Comments and critics welcome.
reading this I saw many things that I disagree with, however thinking
about them I realized that its not so much a matter of "right way vs.
wrong way", but just different outlooks.

>    mind, not fault tolerance.   To start with,  try and avoid all forms of
>    "small tower" designs,  as they have a tendency  to double as  ovens --
my approach is to ALWAYS use mini-towers, but NEVER put your disks in them.
the general design of most cabinets is such that you don't get good airflow
around the disk area, no matter what you do.  put the disks in external
cabinets! (not so easy with IDE disks!)

>    o always terminate  both ends of  the bus with  the right terminator --
>      this means  SCSI-I (big  centronics-type  connector) terminators  for
>      SCSI-I busses (also known as passive terminators), and SCSI-II (small
>      connector)   for   busses    containing   SCSI-II    devices  (active
>      terminators);
you can get SCSI-I terminators in both passive and active versions.  this
is also true of SCSI-II and SCSI-III.
I would discuss the issue of connectors:
 SCSI-I -> 50 pin centronics
 SCSI-II -> 50 pin half pitch
 SCSI-III -> 68 pin half pitch

>    o  internal termination by  the drives/devices themselves (i.e.: jumper
>      activated)  should be avoided -- use  clip-on terminators that fit on
>      the ribbon cable like any device;
why so, modern drives provide active termination, one less connector to
cause problems...

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD