Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 19:05:01 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup/3.2-RELEASE

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Monday, 17 May 1999 at  7:40:59 -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
> >

> > "J. W. Ballantine" wrote:
> >>
> >> I did a sup on my 3.1-STABLE system Friday, early evening, and then
> >> did a make world and a kernel rebuild/install.  When I checked on the
> >> make world Saturday am, the screen was locked, so i rebooted the system
> >> and when it came up the kernel said it was 3.2-RELEASE.  However, the
> >> system wouldn't start because /bin/sh was not in executable format.
> >> When I was able to bring up the system using /bin/csh, I looked at the
> >> make world log and found it failed during an install in the games
> >> dir because bin was not a valid account on the system, yet bin is a valid
> >> user in the passwd file.
> >>
> >> Did I sup at the wrong time and get ``bad''  source??
> >> Is there some major change between 3.1-STABLE and 3.2-RELEASE that resulted
> >> in the problem, or is there something else going on???
> >
> > I started having my system hang when I started X at the same time.
> > They went from 3.1-current, to beta, to 3.2-release and my stability
> > problems have been going on for a week.
>
> People, if you *do* have problems running beta software, raise a large
> flag, making it clear that it's happening with beta software.  That's
> what the beta test period is for, and we're more than usually
> responsive to any problems you may have.  The last thing we want is
> for software to go out there with bugs of this dimension.

I think I was told about mergemaster on Sunday and it wasn't until
long after midnight that I had what I thought was a merged system with
new dev's. Early this morning (Monday) was when I first saw this
message from someone who was also having strange problems.

The change from 3.1-stable to 3.2-release involves a lot of changes. A
buildworld requires three hours on this system and a long time to
bring /etc up todate.  Sunday was the first day where a cvsup didn't
have numerous changes and the first day I thought I had a real problem
that wasn't being fixed.

I don't normally run X and the system only hangs when I run X. It
started out looking like a configuration problem because it mostly
went away after running XF86Setup and a vidtune. I went from moving
the mouse around the screen 3 or 4 times for it to lock up to using
the system for several hours. The only process I use right now that I
start X for is to do a cvsup. That doesn't take several hours. The
intent was to install WordPerfect 8 and Navigator 4.6 but that is on
hold.

Kent

> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html