Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 18:29:01 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.8 gone for good?

In message <00May10.065557est.115369@border.alcanet.com.au>, Peter
Jeremy write
s:
> On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 01:48:31PM +1000, Chad R. Larson wrote:
> >I'd also point out that you can use anonymous CVS, or CVSup to fetch
> >the 2.2.8-STABLE source tree and build it yourself...
>
> You'll need a 2.x machine to do this.  You definitely can't build
> 2.x on a 4.x machine, and I suspect you can't on 3.x either.
>
> [If anyone would like to prove me wrong, I'd like to know because
> otherwise I'm going to have to downgrade a 4.x machine to 2.x so
> I can do a 2.x buildworld for another machine too under-endowed to
> manage a buildworld itself].

Assuming that the 2.x binaries required to build a system will run on
4.x, try the following (skipping a few steps):

1.  Create a directory containing a complete 2.x system including
    all binaries and sources.

2.  Chroot to the directory containing the 2.x system.

3.  Cd to /usr/src and make buildworld.

4.  NFS mount the 2.x /usr/src and /usr/obj on the target system
    and make installworld.

Caveat emptor.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA