Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:01:41 -0600
From:      Greg Nelsen <excalibr@avalon.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Upgrading from a 3.x stable to a 4.2 stable

I want to upgrade a clients FreeBSD machine from 3.x stable to a 4.2
stable remotely.

1. Can I do this? (I see that the upgrading from source tutorial is
gone).

2. Can I do just the Kernel, or how much of the source tree should I get
or update.

2. Can some one point me to comprehensive docs to do this?

I've installed and secured FreeBSD a few times, customized and combined
some ports, rebuilt the kernel, patched and rebuilt core binaries for
security, but never upgraded kernel (or run cvsup --my connection here
is not very fast).

Note: I'm not on any mailing lists except the security announce ones, so
you may have to reply to me directly to reach me.

I really need a competent mentor some where to chat with occasionally
about FreeBSD... I've been working with computers since my mom taught me
to program fortran at age 8 in 1965 --mom was an innovative math teacher
in the public schools.... The university loaned her a key punch.... I've
used UNIX machines for over 10 years, and I've been pressed into service
as a unix system administrator (first on Solaris then Linux now on
FreeBSD) the last two+ years. I've been working alone here installing,
securing, and putting on line, internet webservers for a couple of small
local companies, and it would be nice to have some competent people to
talk to occasionally about this kind of work; but hey, point me to some
documentation. I've read and experimented my way here. I can read on.

(I'm a longtime Deadhead with a BS in biology that is heavy on physics,
chemistry and math but without much emphasis on biology.)

Greg

excalibr@avalon.net
greg@greggy.com