Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 15:39:29 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: getdtablesize() broken?

>Poll, anyone?

>Poll is inferior to select,

Debatable.

>both because of the 10ms limit on timeout
>resoloution

Man pages only say that if the host does not support millisecond
accuracy then the value is rounded up to the nearest legal value
available.

>and because select is often used with no descriptors to
>get a timeout and poll can't be used in this mode.

That hasn't been my experience. poll(0, NULL, 10000); waits 10 seconds
on SunOS, all SVR4-en I have here, HPUX, and AIX; however Digital Unix's
poll looses. In fact in SVR4 select(3) is implemented using poll(2).

In theory poll could be more efficient because there's less bit
twiddling to do and unless you're polling thousands of files poll
needs to transfer far less data to the kernel address space. Back
in the days of 1.1.5.1 I started to look at what it would take to
add poll. Maybe I'll look again.

--

Kaleb