Date:      Tue, 27 May 1997 21:00:45 +1000
From:      Robert <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   [Q] pppd and pap authentication.

Hi all.
ppp again. Please don't tell me to FRTFM ! I've been told today already.
I've just spent a couple of hours (again) looking all the way through
the freebsd.org site, FAQ, Handbook, and various online references.
I've translated the man pages line by line, looking for clues on
how pppd works, along with PAP. Precious little there is! Anything I
have found I have printed out. About 1 sheet of paper it amounts to. :-)

Here is what I'm looking for.

 I wish to be able to automatically dial, and redial if line hangs up,
the server on another site, that requires PAP authentication.
I have a working 'options' file, and a
working 'chat' script file. However.... The server on the remote site
requires that I authenticate myself with PAP. I can find NO EXAMPLES
of how this is done. at all. Doesn't anyone use this method except
Microsoft! The other server is NT. Doesn't anyone use pppd at all?
There are a zillion examples of ppp, but NONE of pppd. and I gave
up on ppp as well. That sodding ppp.secrets file again. Anyone who
enables PAP wants their heads read!

Hope someone has some ideas, I could really use a couple of pointers.

Thanks much in advance,
Bob

--
http://www.chalmers.com.au Books-New & Secondhand  Support Whirled Peas.
Agents for CIBTC. Associate of Amazon.com, and Partner Program with iBS.