Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 00:01:59 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
To:        "Niels Chr. Bank-Pedersen" <ncbp@bank-pedersen.dk>
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 11:43:58PM +0200, Niels Chr. Bank-Pedersen wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 11:21:51PM +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:
> > Does vinum list saying that one subdisk of your R5 volume is down?
>
> 5 subdisks:
> S raid5.p0.s0           State: up	PO:        0  B Size:       4133 MB
> S raid5.p0.s1           State: up	PO:      768 kB Size:       4133 MB
> S raid5.p0.s2           State: up	PO:     1536 kB Size:       4133 MB
> S raid5.p0.s3           State: up	PO:     2304 kB Size:       4133 MB
> S raid5.p0.s4           State: up	PO:     3072 kB Size:       4133 MB
>
>  - But since my first attempt to initialize the plex crashed the
> box while only da5se1 was missing, I did a "verify media" from
> the SCSI ctrl. BIOS, and did find errors. They were all successfully
> remapped, though.

I thought about a parity corrpution bug that there was in history.
But as all drives are up and they are freshly initialized there are 2
arguments why your problems should be different.
Maybe one drive crashed and the system paniced before vinum was able to update
the state database on the drives.
Did you saw anything unusual on the console before the panic message?

> > Are you using softupdates?
>
> Yup.  I am unable to try without SU right now (well, I could, but if it
> doesnt work, my foot will be blown of), but I'll try that later when I
> get home.

It's only of interesst if it was/is enabled on the volume in question and
not if it is compiled into the kernel.

--
B.Walter                  COSMO-Project              http://www.cosmo-project.de
ticso@cicely.de             Usergroup                info@cosmo-project.de