Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 1996 23:01:27 +1030
From:      michael smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
To:        Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
Cc:        Mark Newton <newton@communica.com.au>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BoS: Exploit for sendmail smtpd bug (ver. 8.7-8.8.2).

Peter Childs wrote:

>  I'm just doing a little bit of poking and from what i can see all
>  calls to bindresvport() go through bind() to the bind syscall.  The
>  bind syscall ends up in in_pcbbind (note pg 444 and 462 4.4BSD daemon
>  book) and this bit does the check and returns EACCES on
>  IPPORT_RESERVED && uid == root.
>
>  Could an additional check in here just be used to check that if port
>  requested is 25 and uid == mailmanager's uid then OK it?

That's basically just hardcoding the more generic ideas bandied around
earlier.  The long-term solution is the "registry" concept, which
is
not really ready for showtime in any of the models that have been
discussed.

>  Am I missing something, or is this fairly trivial.  It "seems" pretty
>  hackish to do it in the kernel but as a "quick fix" would this do the
>  job?

You wouldn't get it into the main tree, but as a local modification it'd
most likely be effective.

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"