Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 2004 08:57:39 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Lenny Thompson" <thompsonl@tiscali.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISPs blocking SMTP connections from dynamic IP address space

"Lenny Thompson" <thompsonl@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Nicole
>
> I wonder if you can help me.  I saw your message on the Net regarding ISPs
> Blocking SMTP connections from dynamic IP address space.  I have a problem now
> that didn't exist 6 months where my mail gets returned when emailing a
> specific address, the error is ....550: SPAMMER and all my ISP will say it's
> the remote end that's blocking.  Is this what your talking about, and if yes
> how can I check who's doing what?

No, it's not what they were talking about.  If your ISP were blocking, you
wouldn't get any response whatsoever.  The fact that the attempt is being
rejected with that message means it is, indeed, the remote end.

Send your mail through your ISPs relay.  If you have problems with your ISPs
relay, get a better ISP.

I do this on my mail server, and a lot of other people refuse mail from dynamic
ips ... this is an attempt to stop the _hundreds_ of spams I was getting each
day.  Run a real mail server, use your ISP's relay or accept that people are
going to block you.  Peroid.  The internet is not a friendly place.  I block
dynamic IPs for the same reason I lock my doors at night, because if I don't
people abuse my kindness.  The fact that it also keeps out friendly people
sometimes is something I don't like, but have to live with.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies