Date:      Fri, 08 Jun 2001 12:50:39 -0400
From:      "BSD Boy" <freebsdboy69@hotmail.com>
To:        mgllghr@bu.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: <OT> I Think I have a dead Athlon

One of my boxes is the same setup you describe.  Even if you can get the
thing to boot and perform an install, you're only part way done.  I had a
*helluva* time isolating a problem that caused my system to lock up after
sitting idle for about 15 minutes (vanilla install, no bell/whistles).
I isolated it to the IDE controllers.  I'm now completely SCSI and
disabled everything IDE in the BIOS.  Crappy first-gen chipset I think.
Although I am still a relative newbie ( <1 yr UN*X).  My box runs great now.

HTH,

Carl