Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 12:04:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net, scrappy@ki.net, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Iozone: local vs nfs drives

> >  > vs local drive (1.78M/s and 938k/s):
> > > IOZONE performance measurements:
> > >         1784080 bytes/second for writing the file
> > >         938585 bytes/second for reading the file
>
> I'm not a filesystem expert, but the results sound normal to me.  Writing
> is _often_ faster than reading on modern operating systems and hard
> drives that I've used.  Both the OS and the hard drive cache the data as
> it's being written and are therefore able to stream it out to the disk as
> fast as possible.  However, for reads, the program has to request the
> data, _then_ the hard drive has to fetch it, _then_ it has to move from
> the buffer cache into your program, while your program is waiting, and
> can't submit the next request.
>
> So whereas with writes you are pushing the data out to disk and the write
> buffering works in your favor, with reads you are pulling data from the
> disk and there is extra latency while your program is captive waiting for
> the request.  At least that's how I would explain the situation.
>
> Can any FS hackers confirm/reject my hypothesis?

When you do a write not aligned on a block boundry offset into the
file, the file is paged in (read), modified, and written out.

In other words, expect writes to:

1)	cost as much as a read, and then some
2)	cost more proportional to the write block size relative to
	the page size

I would personally epxect writes to be slower than reads.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.