Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 96 12:38:53 MET DST
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        jeff@stat.uconn.edu (Jeffrey M. Metcalf)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD

> I just received the text 'Installing and Running FreeBSD' by Greg Lehey and in
> it he suggests to keep the root partition in the first 1024 cylinders of my
> EIDE 1.6GB hard disk.  However, I have managed to install and support a FreeBSD
> 2.1.0 system on my hard disk living entirely well beyond the 1024th cylinder for
> some time.

Congratulations.  Can you tell us more about your configuration?  I
suspect that it depends on the BIOS: as I said in my book, the
limitations stem from the maximum values that most BIOSes understand
for heads, tracks and sectors.  If you have a BIOS which is less
brain-damaged, it will work.

> If I plan to never communicate with my DOS partition, need I worry
> about any other stability problems if I keep my system installed as
> is?

No.  As Mike Smith said, once it's up and running, you have won.  I
don't even think that DOS partition access should be a problem.

Greg