Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 12:40:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ACPI timecounter tests original fast version vs masked version

    Mike, did you get my email clarifying what the masking code does?

gettimeofday performance:

    1 process / fast acpi timer		514000 calls/sec

    1 process / dillon acpi timer	366284 calls/sec
		(previously posted patch set)

    1 process / dillon acpi timer	395400 calls/sec
		with the mask <<= 2
		instead of <<= 1
		(one less bit of resolution)

    2 processes with Giant completely removed from the path (userret and
    gettimeofday):	417000, 291000, and 316000.

    I don't have the performance for the original _slow code, sorry, but
    I believe it is similar to the the second and third sample due to
    it reading the timer three times at a minimum.

    In anycase, I think this is reasonable especially if we explicitly
    use the fast code for those chipsets known to be good.  I would like
    to commit it.  It can handle *ANY* sort of ripple or fast-carry breakage,
    really any type of breakage since it looks for two identical samples
    after masking rather then using an inequality.

						-Matt