Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 10:13:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
To:        johann@broadpark.no
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OFF-TOPIC: Maple vs. Mathematica

Hi, Johann -

On Mon, 13 May 2002 johann@broadpark.no wrote:

> I'm a high-school student wondering if anyone could tell me which of
> these two commercial math applications it'd be worth going for.

I can't make a recommendation between these two, but if cost is an object,
you might look into 'Scilab' - a search should show a source archive
somewhere in 'inria.fr'. This is supposed to be a 'Maple' work-alike,
particularly directed to dynamic simulation and control systems design.

Source code is provided free. I don't recall whether the license is GNU or
GNUish.

I have built the package under Linux back to RH-4.2 and at least one other
Unix.

It can do code generation and graphic output, but I don't know how well it
compares with the commercial products you're looking at. Perhaps someone
else on the list can comment on that.

If you get tabular output from whatever math package you choose, you can
probably find general-purpose graphic software which will meet your needs.

 - John Mills