Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 20:10:04 -0800
From:      "Jesse Geddis" <sgeine@yahoo.com>
To:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   CPU type

I have an old canon innova notebook 360CD this is what dmesg reports
about the CPU

Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
CPU: AMD Am5x86 Write-Back (486-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x4f4  Stepping = 4
  Features=0x1<FPU>

the processor is an 5x86 AMD P75 working at 133mhz with a 486 BIOS
from Phoenix. the P75 is what the bios reports during boot time. my
problem is FreeBSD sees this as a 486 CPU. basied on the documentation
I've been able to find on this old laptop it is in fact a Pentium
class (albeit slow) processor and I think the 486 BIOS is confusing
FreeBSD. I've tried specifying in my kernel cpu I586_CPU but I get a
panic when it boots and it says "unknown class" for the cpu. anyone
know of any way around this? or do I have to leave it at 486 when this
isn't what the machine is. as far as I can tell its just an over
clocked Pentium class AMD chip. below is my working kernel config with
zero errors.

please make sure to include me in the CC: as I am no longer subscribed
to this list due to the amount of volume it generated =) thanks in
advance.

machine         i386
cpu             I486_CPU
maxusers        32
ident           Skye

options         INET
options         FFS
options         FFS_ROOT
options         SOFTUPDATES
options         NFS
options         NFS_ROOT
options         CD9660
options         CD9660_ROOT
options         PROCFS
options         MAXMEM="(32*1024)"
options         COMPAT_43
options         RANDOM_IP_ID
options         ICMP_BANDLIM
options         TCP_DROP_SYNFIN
options         IPSEC
options         IPSEC_ESP
options         MAXCONS=1
options         QUOTA
options         COMPAT_LINUX
options         INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE
options         SC_NORM_ATTR="(FG_GREEN|BG_BLACK)"
options         SC_NORM_REV_ATTR="(FG_YELLOW|BG_GREEN)"
options         SC_KERNEL_CONS_ATTR="(FG_RED|BG_BLACK)"
options         SC_KERNEL_CONS_REV_ATTR="(FG_BLACK|BG_RED)"

device          isa
device          eisa
device          card
device          miibus
device          ppbus
device          ppi
device          lpt
#device         vga0
device          ata
device          ed
device          atadisk
device          atapicd

device          npx0    at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13
device          atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
device          atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device          pcic0   at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000
device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device          sc0     at isa?

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether