Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 13:56:20 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP installing STAROFFICE

Chip Wiegand wrote:

> It appears Gallagher <mgllghr@bu.edu>, on Sat, 26 May 2001 13:00:10 -0400
> (EDT) wrote something like:
>
> > Star Office is part of the FreeBSD ports system.  It's best to install it
> > through there (usually /usr/ports).  I believe it's under editors.  I'm
> > sure someone else has more experience with this.  I personally have not
> > tried it yet.
> >
> > ~mike
>
> I tried it from the ports system. It installed without any problems, ran
> extremely slow on my amd k6-2/350 w/64megs ram. I removed within a few days
> it was so unbearably slow. Word Perfect is faster on this machine, to the
> point to make it usable. I s'pose I should buy a faster machine some day.

Up until a month or so ago I was using it on a 150mhz Ppro w/ 40 meg
RAM. It was just barely usable (if I was feeling very patient) Now I
have a 1G Athlon with 128 M RAM and it runs very nicely.
I believe it's a RAM hog more than anything else, I noticed a LOT of
swapping. Perhaps I'll get bored some day and put more RAM in that
machine to see if it runs acceptably on a slower processor.
Anyway ... I installed using the ports and had no problems with the
installation.

-Bill