Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 23:43:12 +0200
From:      Eilko Bos <Eilko.Bos@nl.origin-it.com>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone else seeing jumpy mice?

Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:

>>> I've seen it for the last few weeks and can only think that something
>>> must be stomping on the psm driver now (or the driver is missing
>>> interrupts for reasons of its own).  Anyone else seeing this?

Yes. Just today, I was installing a Digital PC with 4.0-release. Before
start using it, I upgraded to 4.0 Stable. Then I starded configuring X.

FYI:

FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #0: Wed May 24 13:34:42 GMT 2000
CPU: Pentium II/Pentium II Xeon/Celeron (265.75-MHz 686-class CPU)
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0

I have a HP-mouse (2 button) which is actually a logitec.

>>	FWIW, with -current from 5/8, I don't have any of those in
>>/var/log/messages, going back to 5/1. I have a logitech PS/2 mouse, and
>>I don't use moused, since I couldn't get it to work with my wheel.

I tried with both moused and X. Both giving errors:

	psmintr: out of sync (0080 != 0000).
	psmintr: out of sync (00c0 != 0000).
	psmintr: out of sync (0040 != 0000).

I tried several mousesystems, like 'ps/2', 'sysmouse', 'logitec'. They all
go crappy. In XF86Setup, it reacts slow on movements, and when it moves, it
is in 'burstmode' ;-): It will jump to the opposite part of the screen.
2-buttons emulation SEEMS to work. Since the rest didn't, I could not really
test. On console, with moused, the mouse moves in the same (unpredictable)
way, and now I see that 2-buttons emulation does not work.

I tried the

	options         PSM_HOOKRESUME
	options         PSM_RESETAFTERSUSPEND

in the kernel, to no avail. After that, I tried the patch on 'apic_vector.s'
provided by Bruce, also to no avail.
In the end I downgraded to 4.0-release again. I will test that tomorrow.

On my other machine, which is a Dell optiplex gx1, with
	FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #9: Tue May  2 13:17:27 CEST 2000
	psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
	psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0
and a 3-button Digital mouse, I don't have the problem. But I really need
to upgrade to the next current ;-)) I am curious if I have the same problems
then on that machine.

--
Eilko Bos.