Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 22:34:19 -0500
From:      adam@choice.net (Mark Knipfer)
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        interrupt request <irq@stepahead.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD v2.1.7

On Sun, 30 Mar 1997 19:15:31 -0800, you wrote:

>>why I am having the problems.  You can rule out memory, unless FreeBSD is=
>> not
>>compatible with EDO memory.
>
>   It's compatible, but FreeBSD is a much higher user of memory (every last
>bit) than most other operating systems. This wouldn't be the first time that
>someone said that it worked fine with Windows, but nonetheless turned out
>to be bad. There really aren't a lot of possibilities here. I have two P5/133
>machines here - Triton II, 64MB, EIDE mode 4...nearly identical to your
>configuration. Needless to say, we wouldn't have done a release if I had any
>problems here on these machines.
>
>-DG
>
>David Greenman
>Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

David,

This time I installed FreeBSD with nothing in the system, except for the hard
drive, 1.44 floppy drive, 12x IDE cdrom, PCI video card... (a stripped down
system to the bare minimum), and it installed but nothing works.  I logged into
the system and that is about all I can do, then shutdown the system.  I
selected the Average User installation and it installed, but not commands work.

Is FreeBSD v2.1.7 compatible with an USR Courier x2 external modem?

Here is how I installed FreeBSD:

* Boot up on a MSDOS 6.22 diskette accessing the cd-rom.  I switched to the c:
(cdrom) drive since the hard drive has no partitions on it and used the
makeflp.bat to create a bootable diskette.

* I rebooted the system and boot up on the diskette.  I then select:

	  (can't remember the exact steps)
	- Novice installation
	- Q - to quit by the hardware configuration
	- selected A for all of the hard drive for freebsd
	- selected Auto for it setting up the hard drive
	- selected average user installation
	- installed the os, created the user profile
	   (selecting no on other options: web/ftp server/clients, etc)
	- logged into the system and that's about all I can do.