Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2013 11:35:05 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ADAT does work, but often is interrupted by noise - Was: FreeBSD and snd_hdspe last-ditch attempt

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Ralf Mardorf
To: jack-devel
Cc: Ruslan Bukin
Subject: Re: [Jack-Devel] Jack1 on FreeBSD
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 11:21:48 +0100

On Sat, 2013-01-26 at 10:23 +0000, John Rigg wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:20:20PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > I'm testing audio on FreeBSD. It can't compare to Linux, but it's
anyway
> > interesting.
> > The card is a RME HDSPe AIO on FreeBSD used without TotalMix and
without
> > ALSA.
> >
> > The analog IOs are ok, but I get distortion and click noise or gaps
when I
> > use ADAT. When the source is zynaddsubfx with nperiods there aren't
gaps,
> > but there's distortion and there are clicks.
>
> Sounds like there could be a clock sync problem. Have you synchronised
the
> card clock to the converter clock (or vice versa?).

I haven't done any sync settings myself, but assumed that the driver
automatically does use the internal clock to sync to the ADAT interface.
I'm booted into Linux at the moment, but ASAP I'll at least will make
the ADAT device sync master instead of being the slave and I'll ask if I
can edit sync settings for FreeBSD.

Thank you John :)

On Sat, 2013-01-26 at 11:21 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-01-26 at 10:23 +0000, John Rigg wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:20:20PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > I'm testing audio on FreeBSD. It can't compare to Linux, but it's
anyway
> > > interesting.
> > > The card is a RME HDSPe AIO on FreeBSD used without TotalMix and
without
> > > ALSA.
> > >
> > > The analog IOs are ok, but I get distortion and click noise or
gaps when I
> > > use ADAT. When the source is zynaddsubfx with nperiods there
aren't gaps,
> > > but there's distortion and there are clicks.
> >
> > Sounds like there could be a clock sync problem. Have you
synchronised the
> > card clock to the converter clock (or vice versa?).
>
> I haven't done any sync settings myself, but assumed that the driver
> automatically does use the internal clock to sync to the ADAT
interface.
                                                                ^^^
device (not interface) FWIW it's an elCheapo ADA 8000

> I'm booted into Linux at the moment, but ASAP I'll at least will make
> the ADAT device sync master instead of being the slave and I'll ask if
> can edit sync settings for FreeBSD.
>
> Thank you John :)

I'm typing to fast. And I only tested the outputs until now, not the
"IOs" ;).