Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 17:40:38 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>, Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup release identity

On Oct 8,  7:14pm, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
} Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com> writes:

} My proposal would be to set up 2.1, 2.2, and 3.0 lists immediately.
} By announcement, etc. I would encourage EVERYONE to use the new
} designation. However, for legacy purposes, I would then make "stable"
} a mail alias for both 2.1 and 2.2. After a transition period, I would
} drop 2.1 from that alias. Eventually, we could "bounce" messages to
} "stable" with a note to post to either 2.1, 2.2, ... as appropriate.
} In a similar manner, I would make "current" an alias for 3.0.
}
} The initial membership of both 2.1 and 2.2 would be the present "stable" list.
} Participants would be notified to unsubscribe if they are not interested.
} The initial membership of 3.0 is the present "current" list.

Sounds reasonable.

} Further, if you started running 2.2 before its first release, and are
} still running it, I see no reason why YOU should have to change lists.

True, unless you changed your supfile to track -current, in which case
switching lists at the same time makes sense.

} >The only issue I see is how to populate the new list that is created
} >when a branch is added.
}
} Clone the old list. Let people who don't want both unsubscribe. IMHO, it
} is better to send someone too much than to simply cut them off.

That was my first thought, but I decided against it.  I don't have
a real strong opinion one way or another.

			---  Truck