Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 07:15:56 -0700
From:      Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound issues

I trashed my laptop to point where I had to reinstall 4.0 on it. I
cvsupped to STABLE as of May 15 and all went well. I am using the same
kernel configuration file as before. So the only change is that it is
running a more recent STABLE.

Now the issue:
	When setting the mixer to anything other than 100 for the volume
the volume will fall back to 0 on its own. If it is set to 100 it stays.
Since the make world I have had to either MUTE the sound due to pure
static coming when I tried playing sound or reboot when I wanted to
listen to one of my mp3's

Here is what I have in my kernel configuration file:
	# Sound Card
	## This Works but spits out a bunch of unknowns
	options PNPBIOS
	device  pcm0

Here is the dmesg output for the sound card:

unknown9: <ESS0009> at port 0x800-0x807 on isa0
sbc0: <ESS ES1879> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x388-0x38b,0x330-0x331 irq 5 drq 1,5 on
isa0
pcm0: <ESS 18xx DSP> on sbc0
unknown10: <ESS0001> at port 0x201 on isa0

Anyone have any idea what happened. Before I reinstalled I think the
date of the last 4.0-STABLE was over a month old.

TIA