Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 16:14:15 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Marc Rassbach <marc@tandem.milestonerdl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Speed of the cards? was Re: SCSI card to choose

>As I am looking at overclocking my bus speed, which cards (SCSI and network)
>out there are known to work at faster bus rates?  (75 and 83 mhz bus)

As someone else pointed out, anything above 33MHz PCI bus speed (~37.5
and ~42MHz in the cases you list) is technically a violation of the
current PCI spec, and isn't guaranteed to be supported.

However, Cyrix has been pushing 75MHz busses for over a year now (not
83MHz as someone else mentioned).  There are several PCI manufacturers
who have signed on to support the Cyrix chips that require 75MHz bus.
So, even though it's not per spec, many modern cards run OK at these
speeds.  Older cards may not.

Check out http://www.tomshardware.com/ for more info on all this
stuff.  Especially for lists of hardware that have successfully run at
these higher speeds, and info on over-clocking, in general.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.