Date:      Wed, 28 Dec 2011 22:20:09 -0600
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        "Gary Jennejohn \(FreeBSD\)" <gj@freebsd.org>, Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hooking /usr/ports/graphics/gnash to /usr/ports/www/firefox ?

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 04:39:40 +0100
"Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> "Conrad J. Sabatier" wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 05:32:42 +0100

> > > Does plugin = remote compiled binary ?
> > > If so I'd rather not thanks (security).
> > >
> > > With
> > > 	/usr/ports/graphics/gnash
> > > I can now run eg
> > > 	 gnash /xp/WINDOWS/Help/Tours/mmTour/segment5.swf
> > > & firefox3 will play the top video on youtube.com.
> > > but firefox3 still refuses on
> > > 	http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16252407
> > > Maybe different levels of flash.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Julian
> >
> > For starters, I'm wondering why you would prefer gnash over the
> > official flash player.
>
> Source code, free to inspect or enhance/search whatever.
> No need to trust proprietary binaries.

In general, I'm of the same mind as you, but this is one area where I
do make an exception.  I just want something that *works*.  :-)

> > But anyway, you might try symlinking /path/to/{gnash}
> > to /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/{same_name}.
>
> gnash already works on youtube.com, but not on bbc.com

Oh, I see.  Misunderstood before.

> ls -l `which gnash`
>   -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1814 Dec 27 15:54 /usr/local/bin/gnash*
>
> cd /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/gnash ; ls -la
>   drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel     512 Dec 27 15:54 ./
>   drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel     512 Dec 27 13:21 ../
>   -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  350968 Dec 27 15:54 libgnashplugin.so*
>

> > The gnash player will not play all flash videos properly (I know,
> > I've tried it before).
>
> I supposes version compatabilitty is a constant moving target.
> It's what I've been wondering, whether
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16252407 used a newer flash
> format than youtube.com.  (But I could not find a URL on BBC to
> download to inspect)

Doesn't right-clicking in firefox give you a "Page info" option?

> Gary J cc'd told me of existence of /usr/ports/www/youtube_dl
> (as flash if downloaded then playable with vlc & mplayer & inspectable
> with 'file' etc). I suppose ideally I need a bbc_dl port :-)
> Maybe the 3 www/*_dl will give me clues.

You may want to look at a couple of firefox extensions for that:
DownloadHelper and/or Down Them All!  The former will offer to download
any downloadable links it can find on a page.

> > You'd do *much* better to install
> > www/linux-f10-flashplugin11 and www/nspluginwrapper.
>
> I've been avoiding non localy compiled binaries till now.
> however just installed.
>

> > This does require
> > linux emulation to be enabled, of course,
>
> Got emulation installed thanks.
>

> > but it's well worth it.  I
> > play flash videos all the time now in firefox and chrome, and it
> > works splendidly.
>
> Hmm. Tempting.

Yes, I used to struggle with gnash, and always ran into pages where it
simply would not work properly.  I was absolutely delighted when I
finally tried the official flash player with nspluginwrapper.  Works
great!

> > Also, on YouTube, if you enroll in the HTML5 Beta test, many videos
> > on YouTube will play without even using the flash player.
>
> I wasn't particularly targeting youtube, I never browsed it
> till now, though they do have some FreeBSD talks to watch.
> I was just looking for a source solution to random periodic
> flash references I get in mail, & happened to notice gnash.

Well, again. if you want a solution that will always work, you need to
trade in gnash for the official flash player.

Gnash looked quite promising back when I used to use it, but it never
seemed to be able to catch up with the newer flash versions as they
came into use.

> > See
> > http://www.youtube.com/html5
>
> That lists firefox 4, not in ports-cur/

Your ports tree must be quite stale, or you're looking in the wrong
place if you're using packages.  The version in ports was recently
updated to 9.0.1.  Why are you still running such an old version of
firefox, anyway?

> Thanks for the info :-).

Welcome. :-)

--