Date:      28 Jan 2003 13:21:39 -0800
From:      Peter <pfak@telus.net>
Cc:        'freebsd-advocacy' <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   BSD Advocacy Todo List

Here's some stuff I've put together, more coming soon:

Some things that people have suggested in general:

* Create and maintain a database of tech editors/writers, feeding them
not just story ideas, but perhaps a 6x/yearly BSD update sheet that
includes stats, factoids, contacts for specific BSD-migration success
stories, etc.

* Get the folks that admin the FreeBSD project site to give us some
space
for the "Media Centre" on the site.

* Develop a "BSD champion's kit" that gives less-than-eloquent techies
everything they need to speak the good word and/or write the good
company memo regarding the OS. ("Dude, this rules!" does not generally
impress CTOs)

* Begin developing a master list of major BSD vendors/consultants who
can be used as local contact/quotable sources in regional computing
publications.

* Second, ponder FreeBSD's strengths.  Make a list of what would appear
to the public, to nerds, and to suits.  Ponder some more.  Then post it
to the mailing list.

* We could also use a set of FreeBSD presentations and scripts for
presentations.  I've been asked to speak about FreeBSD before, and
always had to whip out MagicPoint and cobble something up myself.
There are people out there who are much better at these things than I,
however.

* There should be centrally downloadable "official" posters and stuff
for promoting FreeBSD at conventions, meetings etc. It would not be hard
for some  graphically gifted (I'm not:) guy to compose posters
describing
in  _very_ general terms how FreeBSD can be used in many walks of life.
Perfect for putting on the door of offices, and on walls. Also, make it
in a format that people can easily print it in, such as PDF or JPEG.

* Submit updates to the "In The Press" page.  rwatson sent out a nice
list of links, which I'm going to count as one set of updates.  Make
sure your patches are clean, meaning that they apply cleanly, and
don't break the Web build.

* Actually writing press releases that get out to the media, we're
talking
CNET, not Slashdot or other OSDN sites (Even though slashdot hates BSD
users)
We have some old press releases in the tree now, in the press directory.

--
Peter Kieser
pfak@telus.net