Date:      Sat, 06 Nov 2004 14:03:09 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: roll call and USB "plan"

In message <418BED57.6090203@elischer.org>, Julian Elischer writes:
>ok, so, who's subscribed? (who considers themselves able to work on USB)
>
>1/ where are we?
>  I've seen USB commits recently from several people..
>  anyone have any plans and uncommitted work?
>2/ what do we need?
> I know we need to look at multifunction devices, and USB2 hub support
>for USB1 devices.
> EHCI command completion interrupts probably also need work..
>3/ scottl has said that he wants to work on CAM/SIM and that may impact
>umass.
>4/ I think we need to do more work on umass devices in general.

I have some uncommitted changes that improve the use of bus_dma to
avoid the need for big physically contiguous data buffers and memory
copying, but that's about it. I've also started looking through
some of the old PRs.

Things I can think of that need work include:
 o Error handling - many communication errors cause panics. e.g try
   plugging in and out a umass device 10 times in quick succession.
 o Missing EHCI features (Lennart Augustsson in NetBSD might be
   working on some split transaction support)
 o Exploring uhci/ohci devices should be deferred until ehci has
   initialised (David Gwynne in OpenBSD mentioned trying to do this)
 o Memory allocation (lots of memory is leaked on detach)

There also seem to be many cases where a particular device works
for some people and not for others - it's hard to tell if the USB
code is doing something bad and we are just getting away with it
on some hardware (this has been the case a few times), or if there
are particular host controller hardware bugs that we need to work
around.

Regarding the compat stuff, I guess it makes sense to remove the
bits that get in the way, but it can be helpful when comparing our
code with other BSDs. It would certainly cause less confusion if
we removed all the non-FreeBSD bits from usb_port.h.

Ian