Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 11:30:37 -0500
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@st-lcremean.tidalwave.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>, lcremean@tidalwave.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Call for help on UDMA on Acer chipsets...

On Wed, Oct 28, 1998 at 01:27:18AM -0500, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> >From personal experiances with Acer i'd avoid them like the f'ing plague
>
> Took 2 tech support people over a week of daily contact before i bit the
> bullet and manually guessed as to what jumpers where what on a
> motherboard.
>
> One other time i needed jumper info, it only took 3 days of emailing
> back and forth to get the sheets.
>
> After asking why it's not on thier site i was told "it's not something we
> want the customer to mess with."

We've had some bad problems with Acer America tech support here at work...a
server we had blew up (it wasn't being used as a server at the time, thank
god), and it took like 3 weeks and lots of BS to get it fixed.

Acer Labs seems to be just as bad at providing tech specs on their chipsets
as Acer Computer is at jumper setting. All the sites I went to either didn't
have the sheet for the M1543, or had it locked behind a Username/Password
box. It was only after writing to this list that I got the info I needed.

As for the UDMA support, all the really dirty stuff (like handling data
flow) has been done already, since all IDE DMA controllers are compatible
with the Intel PIIX in that respect. I just have to program the chip to use
UDMA mode...it should be done this weekend, barring any unforseen stopgaps.

---
Lee Cremeans -- Manassas, VA, USA  (WakkyMouse on DALnet and WTnet)
A! JW223 YWD+++^ri P&B++ SL+++^i GDF B&M KK--i MD+++i P++ I++++ Did
$++ E5/10/70/3c/73ac/95/96 H2 PonPippi Ay77 M | mailto:lcremean@tidalwave.net
http://st-lcremean.tidalwave.net | Powered by FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT