Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 15:08:01 -0400
From:      Gary Algier <gaa@dgms.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TAR command from SGI ws to BSD

owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

> I downloaded some Fortran source code (VAX) from 6250 bpi tape to a
> Silicon Graphics UNIX workstation.  I then tar'd the contents of the SGI
> hard drive onto 4mm DAT.  I took the DAT to my BSD box at home and
> attempted to read the tape with tar -x.  I get a message that BSD can't
> recognize the format.  Do I need to reorder the byte order to read the
The problem is a very fundimental one that you may not be able to fix on
the FreeBSD end.  SGI tar uses block sizes > 64Kbytes.  FreeBSD is limited
to 63Kbyte blocks.  If you still have access to the SGI W/S, remake the
tape with a shorter blocksize.  If not, you loose until FreeBSD raises
the limit.

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ       gary.algier@dgms.com              +1 609 608 2758
DGM&S Telecom, 1025 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054     Fax:+1 609 866 8850