Date:      Thu, 03 Mar 2005 11:14:26 -0500
From:      Shawn C Lander <shawn@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        bob@eng.ufl.edu
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD NFS client and  Netware 6.5 NFS server]

To answer your question:

An NFS trace on the novell server shows the web server executing GETATTR
and READ commands when a file is served after it has been updated.

If you 'touch' one of the files, the client executes GETATTR and SETATTR...
and then the first time it is served it executes LOOKUP, READ, and GETATTR
commands (after the first time it is served by the web server the client
just executes GETATTR and READ).

We were told to mount the exported volume with the NOAC option to tell the
client not to cache file attributes.  However, we do not see this option
implemented on FreeBSD (we even tried it thinking it may be undocumented or
still hanging around and ended up getting an error message).  After seeing
this, we tried setting ACREGMIN, ACREGMAX, ACDIRMIN, and ACDIRMAX to 0
thinking that timeouts of 0 would essentionally turn the cache off... but
it didn't solve the problem.  Is there some other setting that just turns
the cache off completely?

-shawn

--On Wednesday, March 02, 2005 9:03 PM -0500 Bob Johnson
<bob89@eng.ufl.edu> wrote:

> Here's a reply to my query.  sysctl's are kernel values that you can tune
> with the sysctl command.
>
> sysctl vfs.nfs.access_cache_timeout
>
> would show you the value of that sysctl, while
>
> sysctl vfs.nfs.access_cache_timeout=2
>
> would change the value to 2 (assuming it is writable, which this one is).
>
> To see all sysctl's with nfs in the name, do
>
> sysctl -a | grep nfs
>
> so the question he asks is whether a server trace shows any activity when
> the webserver is fetching a recently changed file, or is it working
> entirely from its own cache?
>
> Any reply to this should go to the sender and to questions@freebsd.org to
> get the reply back on the list.
>
> - Bob

 Shawn C. Lander                          340A Weil Hall, POBox 116550
 Coordinator Computer Applications        Gainesville, FL 32611-6550
 Management Information Systems (MIS)     PH: (352) 392-9217
 College of Engineering                   FAX: (352) 392-7063