Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 21:49:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The 3.4-STABLE sources contain 152225 trailing whitespaces :-)

> According to Brett Glass:
> > That's probably because it was done all at once. What if source were ran
> > through a formatter that removed tabs and trailing white spaces during the
> > commit process?
>
> Diff obfuscation is the major problem here and would make "cvs diff" "cvs
> rdiff" unusable because you have to sort which deltas are for whitespace
> removal and the others.
>
> You don't want that.

If anyone really gave a damn about it, it could be fixed with
repository suregery.

That is, you go through the CVS raw repository files, and
remove ALL trailing whitespace from the offending files.

This will ensure that the CVS diff will show only actual code
changes.

The next analysis in this too-long-running-thread I would like
to see is how many of those trailing spaces were original, and
how many crept in over the years from someone using EMACS or some
other editor in the wrong mode.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---