Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 08:08:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Adam Szilveszter <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        "Brandon L. Griffith" <project7@qx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound

Hi!

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Brandon L. Griffith wrote:

> I've been trying for a few days now to get my sound working, actually
> I've been at it for a month but the last few days it has been one of my
> two major objectives. It is the Sound Blaster 64V (AWE64),  and of
> course, Plug and Pray.
> I have read the documentation found at
> http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads/awepnp-freebsd.html
> and the handbook as well. I've even mixed and matched certain aspects of
> each one, and still nothing.
> One of the things that I found said to run pnpinfo and use that output
> for something, when I run pnpinfo I get (no pnp devices found)
> and when I add the correct lines to the kernel and reboot, well, here is
> my dmesg pertaining to that part.......
>
> pas0 not found at 0x388
> sb_reset_dsp failed
> sb0 not found at 0x220
> sb_reset_dsp failed
> sbxvi0 not found
> sbmidi0 not found at 0x330
> opl0 not found at 0x388
> awe0 at 0x620 on isa
> AWE32: not detected
>
> So what's up. How come it isn't working correctly? I have tried almost
> everything, and someone even told me to disable PnP in my bios, but
> wouldn't that defeat the purpose?
> Any suggestions on this?
Well, I have an AWE 64 ISA PnP card and I am running it w/o problems but
it took a while. First, you have to _disable_ PnPOS in BIOS because
FreeBSD
(and in fact Linux except for kernel 2.2) are NOT PnP OS-es. (AFAIK, only
windoze 95 and 98 are, perhaps NT4)

Then build custom kernel adding

controller pnp0

then you have to decide whetether to use Luigi's code for which
instructions can be found in the LINT file or the OSS driver which I use.

In the latter case, you just add:

controller snd0
device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 drq 1 vector sbintr
device sbxvi0 at isa? drq 5 conflicts
device sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330
device opl0 at isa? port 0x388

(if I remember it well. Check your settings!)

if you want, you can add device awe0 at isa? port 0x620 as well. Check
your card manual for your settings first! Then everything should work fine
but pnpconf may need some tweaking if you want AWE as described in the
mentioned document (Conrad's) I don't use AWE because it is not neede at
the moment, so the card is running as an SB16, essentially. Be aware that
even you do everything right, you will still have AWE32, because the 64
uses software wavetable emulation and this is for Windoze only. Also, yiu
will need special awe tools and soundfonts to use AWE. (Also described on
Conrad's page)

I hope everything will work fine for you because I am using it even at
this moment and the sound is fabulous even better it seems than it was
under Win. (I know, I know, some think SB sucks but I do not have $ to
spend on a TB:-)) In Hungary this card is actually considered to be elite,
most people have SB-compatible shit which only works under Windoze,
sometimes not even DOS.)

Regards:
         Szilveszter

         Szeged University