Date:      Thu, 07 Mar 2002 23:46:35 -0500
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        "Jaideep  Bhatia" <jaideep.bhatia@wipro.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Samba refuses to login into home directory

At 10:01 2002/03/08 +0530, Jaideep  Bhatia wrote:
>I have a freebsd 4.5R machine with samba 2.2.3a installed and trying to
>run it with win2K machines. In the sam.conf security has been set to
>share. This is showing the public directory and I am able to read and
>write to it.
>         The problem is with the home directory
>[homes]
>    comment = Home Directories
>    browseable = yes
>    writeable = yes
>
>         The user name on the freebsd machine is different from the win
>2k machine. I have also tried username map option, but unable to see the
>contents of the home directory. Any suggestions on what I might be
>missing?

You probably did this one, but one frequent problem is that folks forget to
add the Windows user name (with Windows password) to the smbpasswd file.
smbpasswd -a <username>
If you haven't done it yet, then you get an error message the first time
that can be safely ignored, something about the file being
non-existent--however it's created after adding the first user.

The other one (that probably isn't the issue, as you can browse the public
shares) is uncommented the encrypted password in smb.conf.

HTH
Scott Robbins