Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 1999 09:52:16 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        Jake Burkholder <jake@checker.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: java too? (was Re: Perl still broken in 4.0-CURRENT)

> > I think that java is still broken by this.

..
> >> java
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> >>

> I've just committed the fix in "src/libexec/rtld-elf/rtld.h" revision
> 1.12.  The Java runtime was peeking into some of the dynamic linker's
> private data structures.  My recent changes added some new members
> which changed the layout of the structures.  I've moved the new
> members to the end to work around the problem.
>
> This is really a JDK bug, but I understand they did it that way to
> work around limitations in the dynamic linker.  I'll try to help them
> find a less fragile way.

This is necessary because the JDK has no way of knowing if dladdr() and
other misc. functions exist at runtime, because it must run on *all*
versions of FreeBSD, and older versions of 3.* didn't have these
functions.

We can't maintain backward compatability 'cleanly' w/out knowing the
internals unfortunately.  That is, unless John can come up with a way
that we're not aware of. :) :) :) :)

Nate